> How did that help you? Now you have an array of individual
> characters, gotten the hard way.

Originally I was aiming to space each character apart so I could use a space
' ' as the delimiting character when I brought them into an array (to be
analyzed character by character by other following routines).

ie. $input = '12345' -> $input = '1 2 3 4 5'
so I could use:
  @chars = split(/ /,$input);
to get the individual characters into their own array items.

Your:
@chars = split //, $input;

Does this all in one bang which is great! Thanks!

Brian's
    print join ' ', split //, $input;

doesn't actually change $input's content however.