--- "Gary L. Armstrong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have written this:
>
> system qw( /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomisc_ext mkpq_remote_ext -q $qname
>         -h $newhost.$domain.ko.com -r jfsrvrsap -t bsd -d $qname
>         "Jetforms NT Server TEMPORARY" );
>
> Nevermind what I am doing (adding a remote print queue), I am mainly
> interested in using the qw() properly.  It splits on whitespace, so I
> figure that this will do exactly what I want, but I am not sure if it will
> split on the whitespace inside the double-quotes.  Will double-quotes
> suffice to keep that string intact?
>
> I could just type out a big list using "," to separate, but where's the fun
> in that?

Sorry, no white space allowed.  Further, using the 'qw()' construct does *not* allow
for
interpolation.  Unless you want a literal '$qname' in their, you'll need an array.

>From "Quote and Quote-Like Operators" (perldoc perlop):

    Customary  Generic        Meaning        Interpolates
        ''       q{}          Literal             no
        ""      qq{}          Literal             yes
        ``      qx{}          Command             yes (unless '' is delimiter)
-->             qw{}         Word list            no
        //       m{}       Pattern match          yes (unless '' is delimiter)
                qr{}          Pattern             yes (unless '' is delimiter)
                 s{}{}      Substitution          yes (unless '' is delimiter)
                tr{}{}    Transliteration         no (but see below)

Cheers,
Curtis "Ovid" Poe

=====
Senior Programmer