If you didn't remove the manual that Apache installs, you should have on
your
system: http://myserver/manual/howto/cgi.html

For mod_perl, see http://perl.apache.org

> For starters, I tried to put a script at my local apache web
> server root
> directory, and the server just displays the contents as
> text...sounds like a
> web server setting is wrong like an alias...

Well, you can't just throw things out there and hope they work. You have
to set the server up to handle CGI scripts. See the link above.

> I read a little about apache alias for mod_perl and am
> confused.  Can you use
> a normal server where perl scripts run and there is no alias
> of perl to
> mod_perl?   What should be the first line of the script to
> point to mod_perl
> without an alias?

mod_perl is an extension to Apache that bundles the Perl interpreter into
the
Apache server itself. Once this is properly installed and configured, Apache
can run your scripts via this "built-in" Perl.

Your scripts cannot "call" or "use" mod_perl; it must be installed and
configured into the Apache server. All discussed in great detail at the
site given above.

Good luck!