Mark,

the first thing I thought when I read the subject was: "Oh, no! Another
one who overread this lot of 2 pence to this thread and Curtis' request
to stop it finally..."

But now to the new subject :=)

It should be very simple to filter out a certain hoax: you just have to
look for certain email addresses which may have to be updated from time
to time. But this would not help generally.

I see some things hoaxes have in common:

1. Every hoax, the starting mail - if there was such - excepted, is forwarded.
This is very characteristic because the sender always refers to some
'expert'. Forwarding can be traced out in the subject and in the body of
the message.

2. Most hoaxes are sent with a lot of 'carbon copies' (CC) either the
message itself and/or the forwarded message. Therefore, this can be
traced in the header and in the body or in the header of the
attached/forwarded mail resp.

3. In my experience, mails with 'yelling' subjects, i. e. capital
letters and rows of exclamation marks, are very suspicious of being
hoaxes or spam.

I guess to protect a mailing list it should help a lot just to disallow
forwarding to the list. There are, of course, cases when a subscriber
wants to present a question of a friend to the list but this could be
done by quoting as well. Anyhow, it is frequently the better way not
just to forward in any technical way what the friend has mailed but to
reformulate the question. Forwarded messages, however, should not only
be blocked but answered with an autoreplier which explains why
forwarding is disabled and what hoaxes are.

Cheers

Stephan

If you want to reply to this message, please, do not forget to delete
the last part of the subject: "[was: Fwd: Fw: PLEEEEEEEASE READ!!!]"!
*This* thread is ended. Thank you!
--
Dipl.-Chem. Stephan Tinnemeyer
Lindenallee 20