At 02:29 PM 4/1/02 +0200, Toomas Vendelin wrote:

>First, your suggestion presumes that the "other end webmaster" has to
>have at least an elementary understanding of Unix, permissions, and
>other command-line stuff which is, true, quite simple, but can make a
>FrontPage
>weekend user hysterically upset. Customers gone...

Ok, what I did with SIMPL was to locate programmatically the
customer-server's cgi-bin, set permissions etc.. It turned out to be a
little bit of work. Alternatives in your case could be to either require
your customers know the basics as you say, or to bill them a modest setup
fee to do this yourself manually on their server.

>So, I am afraid I have to live with the perspective of heavily loaded
>wires, alas :(.

Besides bandwidth Toomas I'd be concerned about your implicit
responsibility for someone else's design. Particularly since with
Javascript it's totally possible for someone to embed nasty things in what
ends up being, or at least looking like your software. I'd be a little
concerned about legal responsibility there too. Just not happy about all
that. You could as said always just include installation on their server as
part of your setup fee.

Just my two cents, ymmv.

Marty

--