--- drieux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Saturday, April 27, 2002, at 05:32 , Alex Swavely
> wrote:
>
> > This was exactly the problem.  Not having dos2unix
> installed, I just
> > zipped
> > it and then ran unzip with the -a option (convert
> files) and it worked
> > smashingly.
>
> now that is probably the one trick I haven't seen
> anyone yet
> raise as the work around....
>
> the real irony in all of this - that I just learned
> yesterday
> is that if people did the decent bit
>
>       #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>       use strict;
>
> then whether it is dos or unix formatted - it will
> still work

How do you mean "it will still work"? Doesn't -w and
"use strict" just make Perl more picky about what it
will accept and raise its complaint level? How would
this impact how it interprets line ends?

On a related note, some of your better text editors
will also have an end-of-line conversion utility built
in. I use Ultra-Edit (Windows), and can convert in any
direction between DOS, Unix, and Mac. Ultra-Edit also
has built-in FTP, so you can pull a file via FTP right
into your editing window, and subsequent saves will
FTP it right back. Finally, you can also set Unix
permissions in the FTP Save dialog. All this together
allows me to easily develop my scripts on my local
Windows machine, run them with output captured to
another window, convert their end-of-lines, FTP them
to my ISP, and set the permissions, all from within
the comforts of the editor.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Ultra-Edit other
than satisfied registered customer. This "promo" was
prompted only by the earlier discussion of end-of-line
characters.

- John