Hi
I'l looking for a way to use a scalar in a regex. The snibblet below
shows in about what it is supposed to do.
if someone has a better idea how to compare the date value with the
$date_today value I extract from the text file, I'd be really happy
about any hints..

The snibblet doesn't work, because it looks for the string "$date" and
not for the value of $date...

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Sven

sub regex {
                        #textfile has the following format:
                        # DD-MM-YY:name:address:telephone
                        #$date has the value of the current date DD-MM-YY

                        open APODATA2,  "<$apodataFile"
                                                                || die "Can't open
$apodataFile for regex :$!\n";
                        while ($date_today = <APODATA2> ) {