Hi Felix
thanks for the tips.
On Wednesday, May 22, 2002, at 01:20 PM, Felix Geerinckx wrote:

> You have a precedence problem here, since '||' has higher precedence
> than ','. You should either use
>
>       open(FH, "<foo") || die;
>       open FH, "<foo" or die;

                didn't know that yet. fixed it.

> (Why are you putting a second '||' within quotes?)

                sorry, but I'm not really understanding what you mean by
second "||" within the quotes.
                here is the code again:

my ($d, $m, $y) = (localtime)[3,4,5];
  my $date = sprintf("%02d-%02d-%02d", $d, $m+1, $y-100);

$date =~ tr/./-/;
chomp $date;
my $apodataFile = "/Users/johnd0e/Desktop/apodata.txt";

open (APODATA2,  "<$apodataFile")
                                        || die "Can't open $apodataFile for regex
:$!\n";
                        my ( $date_today, $aponame, $apoaddress, $apotel );
                        while ( <APODATA2> ) {
                        ( $date_today, $aponame, $apoaddress, $apotel ) =
split(/:/,$_);
                                if (/$date/) {
                                        print "date_today: $date_today   __ $date\n"  ;

Regards,

Sven