You might want to think about crypting those passwords. Plain text still
leaves the information somewhat vulnerable, especially if you have them in a
flat text file that is being written to in a directory chmod'd 777. Two
suggestions:

        - Check out Lincoln Stein's Crypt::CBC
          module on CPAN and implement it if it
          makes sense in your script.

        - If you're on a UNIX system and want
          to make that a little easier, you
          can just system('crypt') the passwords.

        - If you're on a UNIX system you can
          run your scripts suid (chmod'd 4711
          and #!/usr/bin/perl -U).

At any rate, you want to avoid these two things:

        - Leaving the password in plain text
        - Leaving the directory world-writeable

Scot Robnett
inSite Internet Solutions