Kyle --

...and then Kyle Babich said...
%
% Nevermind, I spoke to soon.  I just "chop()"ed the 1 off to fix it.

Um, now it's empty...

  bash-2.05a$ cat patient.records
    "Electronic patient records are becoming tologically
    reified entities that play the role of epistemic patient
    analogues in information space."

    "Health information,
    privacy, confidentiality and ethics," Eike-Henner W. Kluge,
    "International Journal of Bio-Medical Computing,
    vol. 35 (Suppl. 1) (1994), pp. 23-7
  bash-2.05a$ \
  > perl -e '$content=open(F,"patient.records"); \
  > print "HERE IT COMES\n"; print $content ; \
  > print "THERE IT WAS\n"; close(F);'
  HERE IT COMES
  1THERE IT WAS
  bash-2.05a$ \
  > perl -e '$content=open(F,"ppatient.records"); \
  > print "HERE IT COMES\n"; print $content ; chop $content; \
  > print "THERE IT WAS\n"; close(F);'
  HERE IT COMES
  THERE IT WAS

Just what were you planning to do with $content anyway?

HTH & HAND

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]