I am putting a CGI around an existing process that had been done manually (command
line) in the past.

The last piece of the process is to use PGP by user 'dick'. User 'dick' has a keyring
of keys, one of which is the key for the user-id of someone we want to share files
with, say, 'Acme Dist. LLC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'.

Someone routinely su's to 'dick' & runs pgp encrypt on a set of files in /tmp, then
ftp's them to Acme.

Now, my perl CGI, run from our intranet server as 'nobody' would like to encrypt those
same files using the Acme key on 'dick's keyring.

What is the best approach to accomplish this with CGI?

I initially had hoped I could use backticks or a system() function to run a command
similar to:
   "pgpe -r "Acme..." /tmp/file1.txt

Some other questions I have ...
  -  can dick open up permissions on his keys so user 'nobody' could use them?
  -  our user 'nobody' doesn't seem to have any .proflie or .pgp files, nor even a
home sub-dir. How can you give nobody a keyring?
  -   is it possible to specify a keyring location in the pgp command line, such that
I could point to dick's keyring (if it were readable by the group)?

Any info on PGP in CGIs (and PGP as well) would be helpful. I've spent several hours
and found some skimpy man pages on pgpe and pgpk; I've extracted dick's key for Acme
and installed onto my own, but I'm still unsure how to let user nobody use this from a
CGI.

I also checked CPAN for pgp but didn't see any modules specifically helpful for using
PGP in a CGI. Did I miss some good ones?

I am using PGPfreeware 5.0i  on AIX, with Netscape http server.

Thanks
- John