On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 at 13:24, Geraint Jones opined:

GJ:I'm trying to get the output from a barcode scanner into my CGI script. What I
GJ:would like to see is the barcode going straight into a text box in my
GJ:browser. I am using Device::SerialPort to read the output which works fine as
GJ:a normal Perl script, but I don't know how to allow Perl CGI scripts to
GJ:access my /dev/ttyS1 port. Any help on this matter would be greatly
GJ:appreciated.

you may have a permission problem.  does the user your webserver runs as
have permission to read from /dev/ttyS1?