On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 at 21:28, Scot Robnett opined:

SR:I am working with a university on a web project which entails setting up a
SR:new server. We're going with Red Hat Linux on Dell hardware (RAID 5
SR:configuration), but I am not sure which version of Perl to recommend. I am
SR:very used to 5.005_03, but 5.8 is the current release.
SR:
SR:Do I have a large learning curve associated with going the 5.8 route as
SR:opposed to 5.005_03?
SR:
SR:If I want to port scripts, will they need to be rewritten?
SR:
SR:Are there significant benefits to using 5.8?
SR:
SR:On one hand, I want to keep up with the Joneses and take advantage of the
SR:most available power, but on the other hand, I'm used to one flavor and you
SR:know what they say about fixing things that ain't broke.
SR:
SR:Opinions, comments, suggestions?

if you're using redhat linux, i'd recommend using whatever rpm they have.
for rh7.3, the current perl is 5.6.1.  for rh8, it's 5.8.0.

i've been using rh7.3 with the stock rpm's for perl, mod_perl and apache
for some time now without any problems.  and the mod_perl is compiled in
as a dso, something that was problematic before.

a good place to learn about the new features of the latest perl release is
on perl.com:

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/language/info/software.html