The script should work, but when building the module I believe you will need access to the header files, etc. and possibly even when running it, as the make process is trying to compile SSLeay.c file to use as part of the SSLeay.xs module component. So your script will work, but you won't be able to build the module without the devel package. Which if my understanding is correct you have two options:

1) Download the source for openssl and set the corresponding shell variables (not sure what all you need, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.) so that the make process can find your version of openssl (in your home directory, for instance)

....or...

2) Build the module on a separate machine, preferably running the same compiler versions, openssl versions, etc. and then upload the module to the server and do a *ton* of testing to see if it still works in all its glory.

http://danconia.org

(p.s. make sure to group reply so the list can help too)

james lundeen wrote:
I'm on an OLM server.  I think it's RH 7.2  - I updated Perl and the other bacomponentsmponants
last night after I put this message out.  So I'm running 5.8.0 Perl now...   I'm trying to get
this to work so that I can communicate with Authorize.Net.  The script I use works just fine on my
RH 7.3 server.  I did an item-by-item comparison w/r/t the versions of OpenSSL, etc between the
two servers and everything is the same.  That's why I'm soooo lost here.  I'm really running
against a deadline too, so I'm starting to panic.  Anyone with suggestions, I'd really appreciate
them...   JimmyJames    p.s.  the person who wrote the script said that as long as OpenSSL was
installed with SSLeay, the script would work fine. And I am worked with the script enough on other
servers that I believe this statement to be true.

--- Wiggins d'Anconia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You need the openssl development stuff, not just the binary package, aka it is looking for the headers, which are included in the source package, or usually in a development package depending on your system. Which distro are you running?

http://danconia.org

james lundeen wrote:

yes, openssl is installed at "/usr/bin/openssl" ... anything else i should look at?

--- "Dr. Poo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Do you have openssl installed? It's a prerequisuite. Hence the openssl/... no such file or directory errors....
hope that helps, sorry it's so vague....just try to install openssl...

-Chris