ok. that all sounds great, but i don't know enough about linux to do all of this.  the
stuff i did
last night was all new to me.  i am in the process (this moment) of setting up RH8.0
on a old
machine i had in the closet.  this is the very first time i've done a server from
scratch.  it is
actually seeing the internet and i can actually get to it by IP address... so
hopefully after
installing some items (mysql, etc) i can use it as a "test" server...    thanks for
all of your
input!  -jimmyjames