You can generate keep client's status (session) in URI or in cookies.
In the case of URI it's quite simple:
In the script login.cgi you just check if login correct and generate session
string
so link wil look like this
http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/next.cgi?session=567885734957345
Also you save session string into database with all requirement data.

Of  course you need to check in scipt next.cgi if session valid or not. If
valid you can get
all session data from your database.