Here is a tutorial (written for the CGI::Session
module) with a section on how to do membership style
sites.

http://search.cpan.org/author/SHERZODR/CGI-Session-3.11/Session/CookBook.pm#MEMBERS_AREA

The basic idea is to set a subroutine (included in the
tutorial) at the beginning of each protected script.
Upon login cookie is set along with a flag in the
user's profile that indicates the person is logged in,
and each time the script runs the flag is checked to
see if it is okay to proceed with the execution of the
rest of the script.

The only problem I have found with this tutorial is
that it doesnt first give an example of how to get
users to REGISTER with the system in the first place.
After all, how can one login to an account if they
havent had some way of registering for an account in
the first place?

At any rate, if anyone is interested in cranking out
some studies on this module with me, then please let
me know.  I'm learning it too.

Thanks,

Will

http://www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/next.cgi?session=567885734957345