>> I'd try sftp (secure ftp) I loaded an updated Mandrake Linux and it was
>> preconfigured for sftp (ftp failed to work) as well as ssh
>> (telnet does not
>> exist). It is the way of things these days...

Proftpd is the standard ftp server for MDK9.  I have been running it since
it came out.
I do not yet run ftp server but i did on 8.2 which was wu-ftpd.  it was not
hard at all to setup.
SSH is installed by default anyway that you install any linux distro unless
you specifically unselect it during install.  I do not understand what you
mean by the updates.  MDK posts updates and is just updating for
security/bug reasons if updated though rpmdrake-update on command line
(Mandrake Update if selected in the kde/gnome menus).  Telnet is NOT
installed by default by any as SSH is the secure telnet program/server to
run.  It has been default for the last year if not longer.

Rob