From: Tony Bandy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 1:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: question about uninitialized variable

Hello everyone,

Fairly new to the list here (and perl), so if this is an inappropriate
post, please forgive me. I've got the Learning Perl book plus a few
others...but I'm still scratching my head over this one.

Just a beginning test page where the end-user submits a name and gets a
page back with that name in it.  The page works,however, the warning I
keep getting is:

"Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string..."

I also noticed this same type of warning when I attempt to take the same
thing (user input) and try to compare it to another variable, using this
example--> $my other variable=~/$name/ operator. I can't get anything to
match.

Here is a snippet of code that will generate the error messsage above:

#!c:\Perl\Perl5.00402\bin\perl.exe -w
#Set Perl Parameters
#use strict;
#The CGI.pm module will take input from the form and process it for you.
use CGI qw(:standard);
my $name=param("name");

print "<h2>You entered: $name <p>\n";

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide a newbie.

--
Tony Bandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
OHIONET