On 6/3/03 at 8:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greenhalgh David)
wrote:

> This is more of a MySQL question than a cgi one,

you can say that again

> Are there any circumstances in which that vacant ID "5" will be
> re-used, or will the ID continue to count up to 255 and then generate
> errors?

The second one. (Except if you delete the largest number(s); they will
be reused.)

> Second question. If I use the following:
>
> my $query="CURDATE()";
> my $sth->prepare($query);
> $sth->execute;
>
> I understand that $sth now just contains the reference to the result
> of the query. Where is the value of the query (which should be
> today's date.) It doesn't seem to be in $_.

Depends on $query, but you'll need to dereference the result.
my $ref = $sth->METHOD;

$result = ${$ref};#this depends on what $ref is a refenence to; scalar,
array, hash??

perldoc DBI
perldoc perlref
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/index.html