The second one. (Except if you delete the largest number(s); they will be reused.)

Second question. If I use the following:

my $query="CURDATE()";
my $sth->prepare($query);
$sth->execute;

I understand that $sth now just contains the reference to the result
of the query. Where is the value of the query (which should be
today's date.) It doesn't seem to be in $_.

Depends on $query, but you'll need to dereference the result. my $ref = $sth->METHOD;

$result = ${$ref};#this depends on what $ref is a refenence to; scalar,
array, hash??

Seems to me that using localtime and extracting days and dates from an array is likely to be easier! Thanks for the help. As far as I can tell the reference is to a hash, but it isn't clear to me what the keys are (just run the trial sub three or four times and got recognisable date info in the values but what the logic is for the keys, which are different each time, I don't know!)

Thanks again,

Dave

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]