Thanks for the advice

I have looked at the items you mentioned - details in body of reply

On 12 Jun 2003 at 8:20, drieux wrote:

> On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 04:01 US/Pacific, Eugene Geldenhuys
> wrote: [..] > I have a small problem after upgrading a system from
> RH6.0 to RH9.0, my > apache web server went from version 1.3.6 to
> version 2.0.40.  This in > itself > is probably a good thing, but a
> system management utility I wrote in > perl > now will not execute
> system binaries unless I mark them srwxr-xr-x. [..]
>
> p0: did you do a 'cold upgrade' without bit twiddling
> either the perl or the apache code?

Yes

> p1: when you su to root and do
>
>  suexec -V
>
> does the
>
>  -D AP_DOC_ROOT="/var/www"
>
> value point to where you have your DOCUMENT_ROOT
> rigged to work, normally the default value in
> the httpd.conf is something like
>
>  DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
>
> hence you should be able to hang any of your stuff
> that needs to be suexec'd in that path.... I have
> my Virtual Hosts off say in
>
>  /var/www/<virtualHostNameHere>

Yes, I added the virtual host and aliased cgi-bin to the appropriate folder

> p2: you do understand that you will need the command
>
>  SuexecUserGroup <user> <group>
>
> in your 'virtual host' directives.... vice the older
> apache 1.3.x versions where it was
>
>  User <uname>
>  Group <group>

Yes, this is configured

> p3: the executable - perl code - is actually owned
> by the user/group that will be executing it?

Yes, I changed it accordingly

> p4: we basically agree that you should NOT need to
> have the setuid bit set on the executable...

Great, but I still have the problem if I don't

> p5: have you any interesting information from the suexec.log
> that can help you sort out what it is whining about?

No, no information here.

suexec -V gives:
 -D AP_DOC_ROOT="/var/www"
 -D AP_GID_MIN=500
 -D AP_HTTPD_USER="apache"
 -D AP_LOG_EXEC="/var/log/httpd/suexec.log"
 -D AP_SAFE_PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
 -D AP_UID_MIN=500
 -D AP_USERDIR_SUFFIX="public_html"

I configured symlinks to the binaries from /usr/bin - no joy, I copied the binaries to
/usr/bin,
no joy, what am I missing?

Best Regards
Eugene Geldenhuys
MCNE ECNE MCSE MCP

TFX SOLUTIONS -
PROFESSIONAL NETWORK DESIGN ,IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPPORT