Hi

Okay, I read the words, but I'm not sure that I fully understand the solution -
correct me if I'm
wrong:

I configure apache with virtual hosts, this in the httpd.conf:
NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.3:80
NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.3:4555

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.3:80>
ServerName www.domain.ext
DocumentRoot /www/domain
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.3:4555>
ServerName admin.domain.ext
DocumentRoot /www/admin
SuexecUserGroup admin.admin
</VirtualHost>

As mentioned previously, suexec -V gives:
 -D AP_DOC_ROOT="/var/www"
 -D AP_GID_MIN=500
 -D AP_HTTPD_USER="apache"
 -D AP_LOG_EXEC="/var/log/httpd/suexec.log"
 -D AP_SAFE_PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
 -D AP_UID_MIN=500
 -D AP_USERDIR_SUFFIX="public_html"

so the user and group admin would be uid & gid > 500 and the binaries would all need
to be
located in the /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin or /bin directories.
Am I missing anything? (apart from my mind, that went long ago!!)

On 16 Jun 2003 at 23:08, drieux wrote:

> On Monday, Jun 16, 2003, at 03:11 US/Pacific, Eugene Geldenhuys wrote:
> [..] > Thanks for the advice > > I have looked at the items you
> mentioned - details in body of reply [..]
>
> will someone remind the drieux to have coffee,
> I think the problem could well be the imfamous
> problem of binding processes to well named ports,
> eg ones below 1024, and as such the actual 'binary'
> code will need to bet setgid - eg: 4555 - so that
> it can be run initially by a 'root' process that
> will allow it to bind to the port, setgid(),
> then setuid() and THEN fork itself into the background.
>
> I normally run Virtual Hosts on ports above 1024 so
> that I do not run into this problem. Or if I am
> rigging apache to be a 'stand alone' - then I just
> define the user/group values to be running as the
> uid/gid that is required... in that case I totally
> avoid the whole suexec() problem in most cases, since
> the httpd daemons are already forked out as the require
> uid/gid....
>
> ciao
> drieux
>
> ---
>
> More Dumb Things to NOT CODE!
>
>  do not setuid() to a non-privilaged user
>   if you need to call setgid()... even if all
>    the oldGuys say 'setuid(), setgid()', that's because
>     they are pushing the values onto a mental stack
>      for them to pop off later....

Best Regards
Eugene Geldenhuys
MCNE ECNE MCSE MCP

TFX SOLUTIONS -
PROFESSIONAL NETWORK DESIGN ,IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPPORT