From: "fliptop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mike Harrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 4:19 PM
Subject: Re: File uploading

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 at 12:03, Mike Harrison opined:

MH:I have a perl program that allows a user to upload a file (either .jpg or
MH:.gif) to the server, and returns a message if it exceeds a specified size
MH:(in my case 100kB).  Currently (and don't laugh - I am new to perl), I go
MH:through the motions of uploading the file in 1024-byte blocks (in binary
MH:mode), and increment a counter with each block.  If the counter exceeds
100
MH:(i.e. greater than 100kB), then it exits the loop, displays a warning
MH:message and deletes the file.
MH:
MH:I am sure there would have to be an easier and more efficient way of
doing
MH:this - that is, somehow finding out how large the file is without having
MH:download it first.
MH:
MH:Does perl have a module that can check the size of the file?  And for
that
MH:matter, its type (.jpg, .gif etc.)?

hi mike - CGI provides a way to indicate if an form post exceeds a
pre-determined size limit.  it's the $CGI::POST_MAX variable, and if you
wanted to limit uploads to 100kbytes (for example), you'd do something
like this:

use CGI;
$CGI::POST_MAX = 100 * 1024;

my $cgi = new CGI;

if ($cgi->cgi_error) {
  # alert the user their post exceeded the limit
  exit();
}

you can find out more information by reading

perldoc CGI