Of course I will remain subscribed and I am not gonna start learning PHP
immediately.
I am thinking to learn it because in my country there are only 2 books for
learning perl in my native language and even though I don't need them, there
are very few perl programmers and almost no jobs for perl developers.
There are even some programmers that just heard about perl but they don't
even know too well what it is, and they are good programmers in their
languages.

My problem is that I am used to work under Windows where no compiler is
installed by default and where some CPAN modules don't even compile under
this OS, and I cannot just jump and use Linux because Linux is not an
operating system too accessible for the blind, and I am totally blind.
Unfortunately I cannot try to solve this problem and start creating an
accessible version of Linux then creating perl programs under this OS.

Perl is great because OF CPAN also, but there are very many modules that
require Linux, some of them don't even tell this but the modules don't even
want to compile under this OS.

I am not trying to convince somebody that PHP or Java is better than perl,
but I am just trying to see what makes those programming languages so... "en
vogue".

For example a programmer in Java can create not only java servlets or java
server pages, but they can also create java applets and desktop programs
with a graphical interface while this is not possible with perl.
Internet Explorer, the most used browser can display java applets, but it
doesn't support perl scripts and those perl scripts cannot create a
graphical interface in the browser.
perl can create descktop programs with a graphical interface using the Tk
modules, but those modules are not accessible at all for the blind. They use
some strange classes that print the form like a picture on the screen while
Java programs can be made accessible with Java Access Bridge.

Well, see, these are perl problems, but perl doesn't have a company like Sun
Microsystems to fight to solve them, and it doesn't have so many advertisers
either.
For example, after installing Apache under Windows, by default PHP is set to
be accepted after instalation, but perl is not set and we need to add the
"AddHandler" lines in the httpd.conf file in order to make it work.

It is very clear that Apache is promoting PHP and there are not very many
companies that promote perl.
I've started to find (very strange) web hosting providers in my country that
offer PHP support and space for free and some of them unlimited traffic, but
they don't offer perl support at all.

I am not sure that PHP is used more than perl now, but after 5 years... it
will be used more than perl for sure.

Which could be the solutions?
- To have some Tk classes that are accessible for people with dissabilities.
- To be able to have the programs compiled as binaries (.exe under Windows)
without needing to embed the perl interpreter in the code like with perlapp,
or to have a kind of runtime environment - the perl interpreter installed
separately, but without any other unneeded modules.
- to have a very good development environment for programmers (I don't need
it, but new programmers in this language is searching for such a thing) and
it doesn't exist.
(I've tried comodo of ActiveState, but it is not accessible for the blind
like other programming languages environments)
- To have precompiled modules for Windows and for other operating systems
for much more packages than ActiveState has now.
- To have a set of kind of standard modules for creating, editing and
reading more file types that are precompiled and which can be installed
easier and a set of modules for working on the web, comunicating with more
merchant accounts,  shopping carts...
- to promote packages that contain perl, Apache, MySQL and possibly other
tools for programmers, because most programmers that test their programs
locally need them.

Teddy,
Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]