I was trying to find a log file to look at.  I guess half the problem is I
am using a hosting service, and it is on a Microsoft IIS server (Windows
NT-based I think, but definitely not UNIX).  I will have to ask the hosting
admin where I might find a log file...

Here is the part of the perl script that I start printing things to the
browser (see previous message for the html.pm script that contains the
HTML_header and HTML_ender subroutines):

my $header = 'Successful update';
my $msg = "<h2>Your preferences have been updated

# Finally, put up a HTML document announcing that the update was successful.
&HTML_header($header);
print "<body>\n";
print "<center>\n";
print "$msg\n";
print "<p>Return to the <a href=\"amtest.pl?uname=$uname\"
onMouseover=\"window.status='Back to account management'; return true\"
onMouseout=\"window.status=''; return true\">Account Management</a>
page</p>\n";
print "</center>\n";
&HTML_ender;

Note that I have also tried using print qq| ... | code as well.

I am now getting a CGI error message along the lines of
Cannot find a string terminator '"' in ... line ... (the line above starting
with print "<p>... ".  I can't find a problem with that line???

Thanks for your help so far guys!  I am losing a bit of sleep on this one :(
Regards,
Mike.