I would solve this by using the link to invoke a Perl script that would trip a counter and serve up the PDF document, shift-click be damned. Who uses shift-click anyway?

Merrill Oakes wrote:

I have a link to a PDF file on a web page. I want to count how many times that someone clicks on the link (i.e. downloads the PDF). The easy way (at least for me) would be to make them go to a "download page" first, and I could put a counter in the page, BUT this requires an extra step for the user.

SO, is there any way to:#1. monitor how many a times a file has been downloaded, or maybe #2. have them click on a link (that is really a cgi script, that then increments the counter then starts the download/open of the PDF? Of course this last method will disable the ability to do a "shift-click" to download the doc.

Thoughts, or pointers would be appreciated,

Thanks,
MO.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]