On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 at 00:31, Octavian Rasnita opined:

OR:This is a pretty good method, but it is not so good because the
OR:visitors won't be able to use a Download manager to download the file.
OR:Or better said, they won't be able to resume the download.

true, however the original poster asked how to increment a counter when a
file is downloaded.  they did not pose the question of how to do it *and*
allow the user to use download manager or resume the download if it became
interrupted.

OR:I am not sure, I will be testing this soon, but maybe a solution for
OR:this problem could be specifying the Content-length of this file as a
OR:HTTP header.
OR:
OR:This way the browsers and the download managers will be able to send
OR:the "Range" HTTP header and the web server will accept it.

be sure to share your results.