Gidday All,

We are running AIX on an IBM HTTP server with IHS.

We are serving static HTML pages. Some of these pages are to be protected.

I assume I place the restricted pages in a particular directory and then
protect that directory.

Once authenticated a user should be able to view protected pages without
logging in again for the duration of the session.

I understand that once a user is authenticated their (userId) email
address will be stored in the environment variable REMOTE_USER for access
by cgi-scripts.

Now what I don't understand is how from a static HTML page can I check
this REMOTE_USER variable automatically. Of course the first time they
visit a page in the protected directory they will be prompted for their
username and password, but then what?

Any help appreciated.
Thank You
Colin