"Colin Johnstone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Thank You for answering my post. Im only a perl newbie, I read something
> that gave me the idea that this would be handled by cgi thats why I posted
> here.
>
> So what your saying is:- by virtue of the fact that a user has been
> authenticated, if they try to access a protected page. Then the server
> will decide whether to serve that page or not. All we have to do is use
.htaccess files and/or entries in
> httpd.conf.
>
> Colin

Right. Your web server knows that the page that was requested is a simple
document as opposed to a CGI application. It also knows that this document
has no way of validating the credentials submitted via basic authentication,
so the server does the verification for you.

The REMOTE_USER variable is used to identify the person/request who has
received verification. With static documents the server simply sends the
document to the http client. The REMOTE_USER environment variable is no use
to your web page so it isnt even set. But with CGI programs, you can use the
REMOTE_USER variable to find out who logged in and do things like record
click trails and have online shopping carts. Note this is not how _I_ would
do it, but it is a perfectly viable method.

Todd W.