Please bottom post...

Charlie somerville wrote:
You don't need to get that from a database! All you havve to do is put a
lock on a file read the file, increment it write the file and take the lock
off, easy!

Without knowing more about the OP's design how can you possibly determine whether a DB is or isn't the right implementation. Maybe the OP needs to generate images for 10,000 unique numbers, doing this with file operations would be incredibly slow compared to a DB. Or maybe the information is already stored in the DB to generate the numbers, so would you suggest pulling the info from a DB, storing it to a file, and then re-reading the file? Seems a bit silly... Besides the OP's question wasn't about getting the numbers it was about creating gifs....

http://danconia.org

"Parvez Mohamed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Plaese use http://www.scriptarchive.com/readme/counter.html#counter

in responce to:

I want to write a CGI in perl that when called, grabs a number from a
MySQL db or a file,
increments it, writes the number back out, and then returns a GIF with
that number. I want
to have 10 separate GIFs, each one containing an image (that I have
created to match the
site design) of a number, 0-9. I need to be able to piece together any
number of these
GIFs from left to right into one large (relatively) GIF. I know how to
do everything but
actually create the GIF. Can anyone point me in the right direction?