--- Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill Jones wrote:
> > The third way - `` (back-ticks) is highly discouraged.
>
> Discouraged? Why? I thought that was depending on what exactly it is
> you want to do, e.g. whether you want to capture the output from the
> script you run.

Well, it is definitely a matter of taste, true.  There are cleaner ways
to "capture" the external program's output.

Personally I have seen, in my short time programming in Perl, that some
versions of Perl have at times executed `` (back-ticks) as if they were
contained inside a BEGIN block -- that is prior to executing my code in
correct sequence.

Don't misundertsnad me, I have used back-ticks a lot.  I just feel
there are better (read: clearer) ways to start an external program from
Perl.

:)
-Sx-

=====