--- Xiangli Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Since I want to analyse a complicated problem involved with one
> file.pl, I am suspect the .pl file was not executed. I tried with
> very simple file.pl only printing one line, but it does not work. The
> following is the code:
>
> the cgi file
>

> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use lib '/srv/www/cgi-bin/phrap';
>
> print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
> print "Alignment Result </h1><p>";
> print "<pre>";
>
> system("perl", "/srv/www/cgi-bin/phrap/testL.pl");
> print "</pre>";
> print "</p>";
> print "</body></html>";
>
> the .pl file testL.pl
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> print "%%%%%%%%%%\n\n";

A series of Percent signs is significant to the resulting web browser;
please try to use a sim ple, plain old, ASCII text - maybe just "Hi, I
am the testL programs output" ???

> testL.pl is in the folder '/srv/www/cgi-bin/phrap', both of the files
> have maximum permissions
>
> I am suspecting the problem is related to configuration of Apache web
> server. Is it possible? Since, the exact files work fine in one
> server, but not in the other.
>
> I am not so familiar with Apache configuration, just know some basic
> things.
>
> Any suggestions?

How do you know that the use lib is working?  Can you prove the
programs both work for the command line first - before you try them as
CGIs?

As far as apache is concerned I suggest:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/cgi.html

:)
-Sx-

=====