I have the following to kick off an HTML page:-

<!DOCTYPE html
  PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd> " [
  <!ENTITY help "Help">
]

lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">
<head>
<h1>&help;Blah</h1>

The page has passed the W3C validator.  (The idea is that I'm trying to make
a simple "macro" that will insert help buttons into the page, so the entity
will eventually be somewhat more intelligent than the above...)

All my local browsers are showing a raw "]>" at the top of the page, and a
raw "&help;" at the point of use.

Is this something I should expect, or are the browsers *all* buggy (surely
not!), or is there some way to tweak the above so it will work as I would
like?

Rgds, GStC.