Are you sure that cdrecord needs to run as root? You might check into changin permissions on the device itself. Or if this is a trusted machine/environment (I assume it is, 'cause most people don't write web apps to burn CDs), then you could suid cdrecord itself as root. Be sure you understand the security implications of doing that.

Paul