On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 09:57:55PM +0530, Ankur Gupta wrote:

> I read perldoc CGI and found that state of a script could be saved by the
> following function.

>     $myself = $query->self_url;
>     print q(<a href="$myself">I'm talking to myself.</a>);

Not quite. If you used "qq" so that the string would interpolate
variables then it would create a link back to the current URL -
including the query string.

> print $q->start_form(-method=>'POST',

You cannot create POST requests using a hyperlink, in HTML the only
way to set this up is with a form. Additionally, since the data not
sent using the query string then simply reading the query string won't
include the same values.

You would need to loop through the posted data and generate form
controls (such as hidden inputs) for each value. Since the rest of
your message discusses sorting of data, you should consider that GET
is supposed to be used when retrieving any information from the server
and POST when you are changing something. (This has implications such
as GET being bookmarkable, and POST causing most browsers to warn
about resubmitting data).