From: David Dorward,,, [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of

> On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 09:57:55PM +0530, Ankur Gupta wrote:
>
> > I read perldoc CGI and found that state of a script could
> be saved by
> > the following function.
>
> >     $myself = $query->self_url;
> >     print q(<a href="$myself">I'm talking to myself.</a>);
>
> Not quite. If you used "qq" so that the string would
> interpolate variables then it would create a link back to the
> current URL - including the query string.
>
> > print $q->start_form(-method=>'POST',
>
> You cannot create POST requests using a hyperlink, in HTML
> the only way to set this up is with a form. Additionally,
> since the data not sent using the query string then simply
> reading the query string won't include the same values.
>
> You would need to loop through the posted data and generate
> form controls (such as hidden inputs) for each value. Since
> the rest of your message discusses sorting of data, you
> should consider that GET is supposed to be used when
> retrieving any information from the server and POST when you
> are changing something. (This has implications such as GET
> being bookmarkable, and POST causing most browsers to warn
> about resubmitting data).

Thanks a lot guys for the help. I guess I have to use hidden fields.

BTW, I am using POST just because there is no restriction on the length of
the query string which I am passing to the cgi script. I read that GET has a
max value but POST does not. Am I right? I have no reservations against
using GET but only because it has max length. My query string can be way too
long that's way I am using POST.

--Ankur

Where does the family start? It starts with a young man falling in love with
a girl - no superior alternative has yet been found. - Guess what, my ideas
match with Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill