On Aug 17, 2005, at 11:03 AM, zentara wrote:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:29:54 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Stephenson)
wrote:

On Aug 12, 2005, at 2:06 AM, David Dorward wrote:

If a directory is password protected with .htaccess
or do you always get the popup box?

Here's what's in the .htaccess file
AuthUserFile /home/users/members/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Members"

<LIMIT GET POST>
require valid-user
</LIMIT>

How do I point this at a  perl cgi script to process the logon?

If I'm understanding your question correctly...........

The server is going to automatically process the login with a popup,
beyond the control of any cgi script. So you are NOT going to bypass the
server's auth mechanism, and replace it with a Perl script.

Ok, I thought maybe the "AuthType" might have a way to use a perl script to process logons, but it really doesn't matter now, the client has decided not to try and fight this issue (big sigh of relief), which I tried to point out was actually an interface issue, and go with what works. But if it was possible it would be interesting to play with ;)

The client wanted to use htaccess authentication to process the user/pass from an html form. I made a script to put the user/pass in the URL of a redirect command in the html output to the browser. This worked great for me, I use mozilla based browsers on a mac, Internet Explorer did not work for the client on his windows box. He finally opted for a link to the password protected directory.

Thanks again for the help,

--
Bill Stephenson