On 8/8/06 7:59 AM, "Marcus Willemsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Like almost everybody else I know I'm playing around with AJAX related
> techniques. Instead of switching over to PHP I'd like to go on using Perl to
> handle my XMLHttpRequests and to query my databases in the background. The
> obvious choice would be to use the CGI::Ajax module. But that's no really an
> option as I haven't got full access to our webserver (it's hosted) and I'm
> therefore unable to install the modules needed.

You can install this into your home directory on the machine, or put it in
some other directory, if you like.  Then, you can

 use lib '/directory/where/you/put/CGI::Ajax';

in your script.  Then you can use CGI::Ajax as normal.

> Is there another way to call functions/scripts containing functions and to
> return the Results as XML to the calling javascript functions?

There are many ways to return XML, yes.  You need a CGI script that returns
XML, basically.  The larger issue with AJAX is doing something useful with
the XML (or JSON, or whatever) on the client side using javascript.

Sean