Thanks for that, but from what I've heard it should be solvable using
Javascript event handlers. I just don't know the details of how to use
it successfully. I tried the following but got no result:
(if this IS the way forward I'd need the onChange (or similar) handler
to point to a 'Perl event' and not a 'Javascript event'...)

print $cgi->popup_menu(-name=>'list',
                       -id=>'list',
                       -values=>['L1','L2','L3']),
                       -onChange=>"alert('TESTING')";