> Hi,
> I would like to create a button on a web page that opens a file in it's
> application (ie. open a scientific file in it's native application).  My
> file does not have an extension and so I think it probably will not open
> automatically with the system("start docname") command.
> Thank you,
> Lynn

I don't think that what you are asking is possible.

I think you are asking for a document that is on a server to be presented
to your computer/monitor as it would be if the document was on your
computer and read by the native application on your computer.

Look at Google, they present pdf documents. You can click on the pdf and
it is then downloaded and opened in your pdf reader. Google have an
alternative link, 'Show html'

That means they pull the pdf apart and send it to you as a html document,
virtually the only sort of document that can be read by a browser.

So my guess is that you want similar results with your document. Unless
there is a 'native format' to html converter, you are out of luck.

You are probably better off to get your users to download the document and
let them open it in their own native application.

Owen