Michael,

 I recommend asking the main "squeak-dev" mailing list! I'm sure you'll get
a very warm reception there. The Croquet mailing list is also a good place
to ask. Croquet has many unexplored academic opportunities.

I'll try casting my line on those two lists.  I too feel that croquet
has much unexplored potential.

 If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at finding some other area of
science / technology / business where Croquet would be profoundly useful.
Personally I'd be looking at re-creating a useful, virtual office
environment with shared documents and system for managing information, but
then I'm boring.

Not completely boring :).  A virtual office could be quite useful.

--Robert