On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:00:09 +0100, nicolas cellier wrote:

Klaus D. Witzel a écrit :
On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:01:14 +0100, nicolas cellier wrote:

cdrick a écrit :
 or again
removeAll: aCollection
    aCollection == self
                ifTrue: [self removeAll: aCollection copy]
ifFalse: [aCollection do: [:each | self remove: each]].
 Or maybe, if aCollection == self, a warning could be raised ?
 What do you think ?
 Cédrick

aCollection == self is not the only case that can fail.
Imagine i pass a wrapper collection on self, like a MappedCollection.

When i will change self with remove:, i will also change the argument which is just a wrapper on self.

Hope my explanations are not too much confusing...
Let's see: "Remove each element of aCollection from the receiver. If successful for each, answer aCollection. Otherwise create an error notification."
 What mapping would *not* raise the error notification ;-)

My interpretation of the comment was rather for the case when we try to remove an element which is not in the collection...
But OK, I take it as is...

However i can construct a test case that will not do what is expected and will not raise a notification, wanna bet?

No, just let the next people who attempt to bring MappedCollection back to Squeak > 3.10 take care ;-)

BTW: do you have as much energy for fixing problems as you seem to have for imagine the currently non-existing ;-) This would help Squeak jump forward :)

| collec1 collec2 |
collec1 := OrderedCollection with: 'a' with: 'b' with: 'c'.
collec2 := MappedCollection collection: collec1 map: (1 to: 2).
        "collec2 only map first two elements 'a' and 'b'"
collec1 removeAll: collec2.
        "this should remove 'a' and 'b' from collec1"
self assert: collec1 first = 'c'
        "too bad... it's 'b'"

BTW: MappedCollection does not exist in sq3.10-7159dev08.02.1.image ...

MappedCollection is just an example of possible wrapper collection, even if there is none in core images nowadays, that's a classical pattern which avoid copying for example.

MappedCOllection is in 3.9 image.

/Klaus

Nicolas