On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:52 PM, Michael van der Gulik wrote:

On 4/22/09, Mark Volkmann <m...@ociweb.com> wrote:
On Apr 20, 2009, at 10:28 PM, David Mitchell wrote:

Very trippy but sometimes frustrating to someone who
just wants to build a CRUD GUI.

This was a key factor in me setting Squeak aside for a bit. I love the
syntax of Smalltalk and the tools, but I was amazed at how difficult
it was to build and deploy a simple GUI application. For example, I
just wanted to build a GUI with a text field for entering a name and
an OK button. When the button is pressed I wanted to display a dialog
box that contains the text "Hello" and the name. The most frustrating
parts were the layout of widgets and the packages of the application
which involves a large number of steps.

+1. It's on my TODO list.

Excellent!

A more recent concern for me is the lack of support for taking
advantage of multi-core processors. I know someone is working on
improving this.

Unfortunately the situation here is rather dire. I blogged about it:
http://securesqueak.blogspot.com/2009/03/concurrency.html.

It's fully possible to make a Smalltalk VM that does fine-grained
concurrency, but nobody concurrently has the time(/money), energy and
raw creative intelligence to make one. Until then, Igor's Hydra VM is
the best we have. I'd love to make one, but I haven't put it on my
TODO list because I don't need a concurrent VM. My single cored 1Ghz
Celeron CPU is plenty fast enough.

I'm fascinated by concurrent computing, and I've dabbled in it a bit
as a hobby, but most of what I do isn't CPU bound. There's a lot of
very interesting stuff you can do before you're limited by your CPU
speed.

To be honest, it's not so much that I have applications in mind that require use of multiple CPUs as it is fear for the future. While one core may seem fast enough today, what will we think when machines commonly have 16 or more? The thought that I may really be asked to write software that takes advantage of multiple cores has prompted me to start dabbling in functional languages. At the moment my functional language of choice is Clojure. That said, I'd rather work in Smalltalk if it could do that too.

---
Mark Volkmann
http://www.ociweb.com/mark