Bert Freudenberg wrote:
On 29.07.2009, at 16:46, Michael Haupt wrote:

So, could somebody please hint me at how to get "the correct" Image for
64bit FreebSD/amd64? Or is the Downloaded one OK?

It is. Images are cross-platform, you can move them freely between Mac/Unix/Windows or any other platform.

OK, thanks for confirmation.

If it is, however,
wouldn't I need a 3.10.5 Image instead of 3.10.2?

If the image complains about sources not being found, it's "alive".

VM versions are somewhat independent of image versions, and supposed to be backwards-compatible. So you usually want to install the latest released VM, and use that to run all kinds of images, even older ones.

While hunting for Info on how to compile squeak I found one Doc (unfortunately I didn't save it or the URL I found it at) that mentioned that "the Image" should always be of the same Version as the Sources. That made me a bit nervous re. using and older Image ;-)

There are 64bit images, but AFAIK they're mostly unsupported (I may be
wrong there). They're available from
http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ - note, however, that those are
not version 3.10, but 3.8.

I am not aware of anybody currently using 64 bit images.

Thanks! Well, I just replied to Michael Haupt some of the Instructions I found in platforms/unix/misc with Instructions that didn't make sense to me -- well, when I don't need a 64 bit Image then I'm happy now (on the other hand, as there are these Instructions, maybe when/if I become used to Squeak and get it sementically I might give the 64 bits a try :-)).

Thanks again for confirming that everything should be OK! I'm slightly confused when something works that, according to the docs (and how I interpreted these!), should not work but it indeed does (I expect a crash then any minute and that makes me a bit nervous).

Cheers,
_ralf_