Billy Joedono writes ..

>Below is a piece of code central to my problem. I've used this a lot
>of time without problem, but on this occasion, it fails me. Whenever I
>run the script, it ends with the error "bash: ./test.pl: No such file
>or directory". The funny thing is, if I activate the debug option (use
>#!/usr/bin/perl -d) and step through the code, it does what I want, no
>errors given there.

can you run it manually by passing it to the interpreter

  perl test.pl

?

the permissions should be (at least) 755 .. ie.

  chmod 755 test.pl

but you're right .. the fact that it works in the debugger should mean
that's not the problem

I assume that you aren't doing anything crazy like having a blank line
before the shebang line .. because obviously that'll also create problems
(but you'd have to be really crazy to delete the blank line when adding the
'-d' option)

other than ensuring that the shebang line is correct (again - you'd have to
be crazy to be changing it without realising when you add the '-d' option)
there doesn't seem to be anything obvious

--
  jason king

  A Canadian law states that citizens may not publicly remove bandages.
  - http://dumblaws.com/