Shawn writes ..

>Can someone look at a subroutine for me? Specifically, after
>this (at bottom of email) subroutine runs, it increases my
>RSS by 6 megs, and shouldn't do that. (here it has indexed
>133798 files)

this is normal Perl behaviour - welcome to an interpreted language .. check
out the Perl FAQ .. it will have been installed on your system with perl ..
type the following at the command prompt

  perldoc -q "free.*array"

--
  jason king

  In New York, a fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law
  specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and
  looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of
  this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a
  "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a
  stroll. - http://dumblaws.com/