I've got Net::ftp on my win2k machine, and have used it many many times without
issue. I recall just grabbing the Bundle::LWP ppm and it did the rest. I'm certain
that this module should install into active state perl without grief. Good luck.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Products/ActivePerl/site/lib/Bundle/LWP.html

~Matt C.