Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and "Brett W. McCoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
whispered:
| On Thu, 24 May 2001, David Matthew Monarres wrote:
| It's part of a standard Perl installation.  Type 'perldoc gethostbyname'

perldoc -f gethostbyname will work better, since you are looking for a
function inside a manpage.

The problem with this is what name do you use?  This is a DHCP address
(most likely from DSL).  Most ISP don't provide a static name to a machine,
they provide a dynamic name same as the IP address.  gethostbyname won't
work in this case.

I've found a "trick" that works with my RR account that is completely un
perl-related.  In /etc/sysconfig/network, I have HOSTNAME set to "myname".
In /etc/hosts, I have a mapping from that name to an IP address that I know
is on my ISPs address space.  Whenever my system boots, it requests that IP
address.  If it isn't used, it grants it.  So, I almost have a static
address.

-spp