On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:13:23AM -0700, C.Ouellette wrote:

> I believe I should have added that I am currently in a
> Windows NT environment.

My condolences.  But at least you're not using 95 or 98.  Then you
really would have problems.

> So I guess the follow-up question would be which of
> the two (XS & Inline) work better under Windows.
>
> XS does not specify if it works under Windows. Inline
> does, but I have not tried to compile it yet.

XS certainly does work under Windows, at least as well as Inline.

What version of Perl are you using?  If it is from ActiveState then you
may need to match your environment somewhat to the environment under
which that perl was built.  I think this means you will need Visual C++
and nmake, but it may now be possible to use a different compiler.

However, it may be better to consider building your own version of perl.
If you have Windows NT or 2000 and Visual C++ this should be fairly
easy.  Then you should be able to use XS or Inline in the same manner as
on a Unix box.

After having done this, you would probably not be considered a beginner
anymore :-)

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net